SEO is extremely important in order to have a fully functional website. Search Engine Optimization is a must for every website. Most of the website traffic comes from search engines like Google. In this WordPress tutorial we will show you how to find the most useful WordPress SEO plugin, how to install it and how to use it.
What is SEO and why is it important for my WordPress site?
There are hundreds of thousands of articles about SEO. Here we will make a short analysis about SEO for WordPress sites. WordPress is pretty light weight website building tool. It can help you build any kind of website. Building the site is only part of the job. You need to market this website and make it more visible and easy to understand for both your visitors and search engines like Google. SEO improvements you need to make to your WordPress site include url structures(permalinks), SEO Title of the pages and posts, Meta description of the pages and posts, the focus keywords and many more.
WordPress SEO plugin – SEO by Yoast
If you need an easy to use WordPress SEO plugin, we highly recommend SEO by Yoast. It has more than 1 million active installation on WordPress sites and it can help you optimize your website with just few mouse clicks.
You can easily install the WordPress SEO plugin from the admin BackEnd –> Plugins –> Add New
Once the plugin is installed you will have a short link called SEO under your WordPress dashboard.
Once you start creating pages or posts, you will notice several new options to optimize the content of your website.
The first option to start with your SEO is the Focus Keyword. You need to have a specific keyword. It is very important to think of a keyword that is included in your page or post.
The second field is about the SEO Title. Note that this is what people see when reviewing the Google search engine results. Make sure the SEO Title is self explanatory. The more catchy and to the point it is, the higher the chance of people clicking on it and entering your website.
The third option is the Meta description that shows a more detailed explanation of what is included in your WordPress post/page.
Once you have included enough text, focus keyword, seo title and meta description you need to Update your WordPress post/page as you normally do.
Ideally, the SEO status should be Green and should be GOOD. If you need to make some other improvements, the WordPress SEO plugin by Yoast will tell you what to change.
You need to navigate to the second tab of the plugin: Page Analysis
The most important improvements are included in the Page Analysis and the WordPress SEO plugin checks them automatically based on the focus keyword. Here is the most popular WordPress SEO checklist based on the WordPress SEO by Yoast:
- The page title contains 35 characters, which is less than the recommended minimum of 40 characters. Use the space to add keyword variations or create compelling call-to-action copy.
- The copy scores 70.2 in the Flesch Reading Ease test, which is considered fairly easy to read.
- The keyword / phrase appears in the URL for this page.
- Keyword / keyphrase appears in 1 (out of 2) subheadings in the copy. While not a major ranking factor, this is beneficial.
- The images on this page contain alt tags with the target keyword / phrase.
- This page has 1 outbound link(s).
- The keyword appears in the first paragraph of the copy.
- The keyword density is 1.54%, which is great, the keyword was found 7 times.
- The page title contains keyword / phrase, at the beginning which is considered to improve rankings.
- In the specified meta description, consider: How does it compare to the competition? Could it be made more appealing?
- The meta description contains the primary keyword / phrase.
- There are 468 words contained in the body copy, this is more than the 300 word recommended minimum.
- You’ve never used this focus keyword before, very good.
Is the WordPress SEO plugin by Yoast FREE?
And the last but not least, here comes the costs question. The good part is that the WordPress SEO plugin by Yoast free.
All of the above mentioned WordPress SEO options are free of charge. As most of the WordPress plugins, the Yoast has a premium version that can further develop your SEO options. For all new projects, the standard plugins provides more than enough options to start with. Once the site has enough content and has started to pay off, you can easily upgrade to the premium version.
Thank you for reading this WordPress tutorial on WordPress SEO plugin – SEO by Yoast. Feel free to share and comment.